Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How does your garden grow?

Last spring my family brought my Grandma and Papa up to Dallas to see our new house and spend a day in Dallas. Papa and I had made big plans for him to help me plant a vegetable garden. We worked all day and planted lots of veggies, but I was most excited about my five tomato plants.
Justin, Papa, me, Ryan

I tended to my garden carefully and within a few weeks my tomatoes plants were growing like weeds!

I was just sure I was going to have bowls full of fresh, home-grown tomatoes that I would be giving away because I had so many. Well, after waiting and waiting, my hard work finally produced this bountiful harvest:
(scissors are to show the actual size)

After that disaster, I decided to take a different approach this year. I assessed the situation and determined that they did not get enough sun last year, so instead of planting five in the back corner of our yard, I planted one plant in a pot on a sunny corner of our patio. I've been watering it often, talking to it and feeding it tomato food. So far, this is what we've got:

(chapstick is to show the actual size)

An improvement from last year, yes, but overall, I'd still count this as a fairly failed crop. I still have my fingers crossed that more may come, but suffice it to say, it appears I did not inherit Papa's green thumb. I've had a lot of fun giving it a try, but I have to say, I think it would be a lot more fun if I was able to enjoy the fruits of my labor, literally. Not sure if I am going to give this another try next year or not...

No comments:

Post a Comment